The Paracelsus Medical University (PMU) is a young, dynamic private university with a global outlook. It aims to solve pressing medical and health issues that our societies face today through innovative and impactful teaching and research activities within and beyond its borders in the areas of human medicine, pharmacology, and nursing. The PMU is committed to becoming a world-class institution of higher education by providing an enriching and stimulating environment to its students and staff through transdisciplinary collaboration with key partners around the world. To put this commitment into action, the university management established the PMU’s International Office (IO) which is the central unit that is responsible for the development and implementation of the university’s internationalization strategies. Internationalization is embedded in the PMU’s institutional culture and embodied in its actions and values.
- Policy on equity, diversity, and inclusion
The PMU follows the principles of equity, diversity, and inclusion, and provides equal opportunities to all students, and staff. These principles are integral to the PMU’s internationalization strategies, and are also articulated in the PMU’s gender equality plan (text in german).
European Policy Statement
In 2020, the PMU received the Erasmus+ Charter for the program period 2021 – 2027. The PMU sees itself as part of a global network of universities and other institutions in the health care sector that are active in medical, pharmaceutical and health science education, research, and practice. Internationalization is therefore an essential aspect of the university’s activities, both in research and in teaching, for students as well as for employees. It adheres to the values articulated in the Erasmus+ Charter and views internationalization as a key instrument in increasing the quality of teaching, research, and services of the university, as well as increasing the university’s innovation capacity. It supports the development of social, communicative, and intercultural competencies of its students and staff by participating in the key activities of Erasmus+. The PMU also actively supports the initiatives under Green Erasmus+ and strives to contribute to the achievement of the UNESCO’s Sustainable Development Goals in its actions and process. To this end, the university is currently working on an institutional sustainable development plan. To read the full version of the PMU’s Erasmus Declaration on Higher Education Policy, please read here (text in German).
The European Commission support for the production of this publication does not constitute an endorsement of the contents which reflects the views only of the authors, and the Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information contained therein.
Dr. Rosalyn Eder, MA
Head of International Office
Responsibilities: Strategic development and implementation of internationalization; strategic partnerships
Ms Susanna Holzer, MHPE
Erasmus+ Mobility Coordinator
Responsibilities: Coordination of Erasmus+ student mobilities; coordination and organization of international events
Ms Bianca Leuschner
Erasmus+ Mobility Coordinator; Assistant to the Head of IO
Responsibilities: Coordination of Erasmus+ staff mobilities; Administration of Erasmus+ program
Erasmus+ is the flagship program of the European Union which has been successfully implemented in the last 30 years. Erasmus+ provides opportunities for staff and students to increase the quality of their work/education experience through physical and virtual mobility. Starting with the new Erasmus+ program generation 2021 – 2027, the PMU has defined Erasmus+ as one of its key strategic avenues for internationalization. The International Office is the main contact point for all matters relating to the Erasmus+ program.
Incoming Exchange Students
Students from partner universities must be nominated first by their home universities prior to sending their application. Download the PMU Information Sheet for more details about your study exchange and/or research internship at PMU. Students whose home universities do not have a partnership agreement with the PMU can apply as a “freemover.”
The PMU does not charge tuition and laboratory fees for students from partner universities. Freemover students should inquire directly at the International Office regarding fees. All students enrolled in Austrian universities are required to pay the student union contribution per semester. For academic year 2022/2023, the student union fee is Eur 21.20.
Incoming students interested in research internships should check the PMU’s research profile.
Clinical placement at PMU Uniklinikum is currently offered only to incoming students from partner universities. For details, please check with your home institution.
You would like to know more about the PMU? Check out these videos!
Outgoing Exchange Students
PMU students are highly encouraged to participate in mobility activities, whether for studies, research internship or practical internship. Students are advised to discuss their interests with their respective study organization units at least a year prior to their planned mobility period. Download the PMU Outgoing Student Checklist here for an overview of the application process, and register your interest in the Excel list in MS Teams. Please note that registration does not automatically constitute an approval of your application.
There are basically two paths to mobility supported by the International Office:
Erasmus+ mobility program for internship
PMU students can undertake an internship in an Erasmus+ program country. Under the Erasmus+ program, students will receive a monthly mobility grant, provided that all the grant requirements are met. Find more detailed information about the mobility program in the Calls for Application below. You will also find the Erasmus+ Student charter here.
- For long-term mobility, minimum length of stay must be at least 2 full months (for ex: 15.10. to 15.12.).
- For short-term mobility, length of stay must be at least 5 days and maximum 30 days, and must include a virtual learning component (except for PhD students).
- Mobility in country of residence and country of citizenship is not eligible.
- Eligible destination countries: 26 EU member countries, plus 13 Overseas Countries and Territories (OCTs) associated with the European Union, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, the Republic of Northern Macedonia, Serbia and Turkey. As the PMU is an Austrian institution, internship in Austria is not eligible for funding. This rule also applies to PMU students in Campus Nuremberg.
Calls for Application
- Erasmus+ Internship (in English)
- Erasmus+ Short-term mobility (in English)
- Erasmus+ Praktika (in German)
- Erasmus+ Kurzzeitmobilität (in German)
The following documents must be submitted for your application
- Learning Agreement for traineeship
- Grant Agreement and Instructions for completing (in English)
- Zuschussvereinbarung und Hinweis zum Ausfüllen (in German)
- Student with special requirements (only if necessary)
Non-Erasmus+ mobility programs
These are mobility programs to Switzerland, the UK, and to PMU partner universities outside the European Union. Students are advised to apply for their own grants to support expenses related to their study exchange or internship. See also the section on Grants and Scholarships below.
Mobility in PMU partner universities in the USA is competitive. Please inquire at the administration office of your degree program.
The PMU as a learning institution recognizes the immense value of staff mobility in fostering collaboration and innovation, and in strengthening partnerships. Colleagues are highly advised to contact first the potential receiving department or institution prior to submitting their application for a staff mobility.
Calls for Application
- Erasmus+ Staff Mobility for Training (in English)
- Erasmus+ Staff Mobility for Teaching (in English)
- Erasmus+ Staff Mobility for Training (in German)
- Erasmus+ Staff Mobility for Teaching (in German)
If you would like to apply for a staff mobility via Erasmus+, please register your interest in the Excel list in MS Teams. Registration does not automatically constitute approval of your application. The following documents must be submitted to the International Office:
- Application form in English
- Application form in German
- Grant Agreement (This document is currently being edited)
- Mobility Agreement for teaching (or)
- Mobility Agreement for training
To confirm your mobility upon your return:
For external grants, please check the Austrian database for scholarships and research funding.
For information about PMU’s internal research funding schemes, please contact the PMU’s Research and Innovation Management.
Quality partnership is a key element of PMU’s internationalization strategy. The PMU as an institution of higher learning values deep and strong partnership based on mutual respect, equity, transparency, and fairness. It works with key strategic partners around the globe, while it continues to develop its partnership portfolio. For questions about partnership, please contact the International Office.
The PMU is an active member of the Erasmus+ community, and aims to further widen its network of strategic partners for mobility and capacity-building projects. To this end, it has established bilateral agreements with several European universities. For questions about partnerships, projects, and mobility (staff and students), please contact us.
- Kajaani University of Applied Sciences (Finland)
- Technische Universität Carolo-Wilhelmina zu Braunschweig (Germany)
- Rigas Stradina Universitate (Latvia)
- Poznan University of Medical Sciences (Poland)
- Instituto Universitário Egas Moniz (Portugal)
- Universidad de Alicante (Spain)
- University of Patras (Greece)
- University of Salento (Italy)
- Charles University (Czech Republic)
Currently being negotiated:
- University of Turku (Finland)
- George Ohm Technical University (Germany)
- University of Applied Sciences Weihenstephan-Triesdorf (Germany)
- University of Bern (Switzerland)
PMU's global strategic partners:
- Mayo Medical School / Mayo Clinic, Minnesota, USA
- Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
- Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA, USA
- University of Northern Florida, Jacksonville, USA
- Yale University, New Haven, USA
- Kathmandu University School of Medical Sciences (KUSMS), Dhulikhel Hospital, Nepal
- University of Glasgow, Scotland
- University of Cape Town, South Africa
- Nuernberg Institute of Technology Georg Simon Ohm, Nuremberg, Germany
The PMU is an active member of the following international organizations:
- Association of Academic Health Centers International
- Eurasia-Pacific Uninet
- European Association for International Education (EAIE)
- NAFSA Association of International Educators
The International Office organizes events and activities to further foster PMU’s internationalization@home agenda
Fall Term 2022:
- Welcome day for incoming exchange students and staff, 12th of October
- International Day/Erasmus Days, 13th of october
- Infosession for outgoing students and staff, October
PMU #Erasmusday 2022
Join the PMU - Erasmus Day! Together with the Erasmus community all over Europe, the PMU will hold its Erasmus Day on Thursday, 13th October 2022. The International Office will present the opportunities that the new Erasmus+ program offers to students and staff, as well as general infos about PMU's internationalization activities.
Location: House C, First floor (1. OG), Room 21 & via Teams
10:00 - 10:05: Welcome Remarks by Prof. Dr. Rektor Wolfgang Sperl, Chancellor Mag. Lydia Gruber and Head of international Office Dr. Rosalyn Eder, MA
10:05 - 10:30: Info session – student mobility by Susanna Holzer, MHPE
10:30 - 11:00: Info Session – staff mobility by Bianca Leuschner
Relevant infos about Erasmus+ mobility program for students and staff,
from possible destinations, application process, and more.
Location: Building C, Ground floor, Foyer & Green Corner
10:30-14:00 ongoing program:
- Wheel of Fortune - Hoodies, T-shirts and other prizes to win!
- Info stand
- Videos from staff & student´s experience abroad
12:00 - 14:00: Sandwiches
You would like to join the talks, but you won't be able to participate physically? Join us via the Microsoft Teams: https://bit.ly/3pbr4yn